Monday, October 20, 2008

A Bit of Dirty Work



The Princess (just turned 2) has decided that she doesn't need to sleep anymore at night. She thinks that its OK to stay up til 9pm and possibly later if she really tries her best to turn it on.

That impacts on my work time. I love to work at night when the house is peaceful, but seriously I cant contemplate starting a project after 9pm, so we seem to be on 'go slow'.

Fortunately, The Princess had the opportunity to play with some friends this morning to her absolute delight! I will add it was to my delight too, as I had coffee and chat with friends.

The result of all this was the The Princess had a marvelous day sleep and I got to work.

Today was oxidising day. For a pretty product, it has a messy beginning, as I do all my metal patinas myself. I like my brass dark and moody.

I have a rather large collection of brass filigrees, flower and other components. (These drawers stand 1.2 meters tall)

I source them mostly from America and Italy. I am always of the prowl for new suppliers, but I definitely have my favourites. I love it that they all come from vintage stamping 'molds' and often wonder what else the patterns have been used for previously.

My favourite way to oxidise is by using chemicals and hand cleaning them back. Its a long and dirty process, buts its pretty satisfying too. This is my primitive set up:

These little bits are ready for cleaning back:

After I have cleaned them they sun bake to dry. I reshape a lot of the base bits on a Dap that my Dad made for me. He even made the hammer! I just love using it, its perfect.

And finally they are ready to use.

Hopefully The Princess will cooperate tonight and be in bed by 7.30pm. I live in hope, but now my components are ready I am really keen to get making. I plan to make some more clips for my Etsy shop and start making some really girly Frou Frou for my Lollishop opening in November.

No comments: